Hyperbolic and plebeian observations on life.

Name:
Location: NC

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" -Pride and Prejudice

Monday, June 12, 2006

So many things and so few things

I feel at the moment like I'm at the eye of a storm. My life has had times of great flux, and times of calm monotony. I will always prefer the latter, myself, but I'm boring like that, I guess. I feel the need to wax poetic, but I suspiciously believe this urge comes from the fact that I just devoured a seven-hundred and fifty page book in two days. It was wild and amazing and poignant and funny at times. It was Jacqueline Carey's latest book Kushiel's Scion, the fourth book in her series. While I won't go into detail, like all great books, it inspires you to think about your own life and your relationships with yourself and others. This book, in particular, has inspired me to think about my own relationship with my parents and their legacy to me. What of them I have inherited and carry with me and what scars I bear with pride now that I have ventured off on my own path.

I discovered that the traits in me that I most love, my humor and my irreverence, I got from my father. The traits that I believe have kept me sane, my practicality and responsibility, I got from my mother. These are the traits in each of them that I found most infuriating when I lived with them. My mom was too uptight and my dad didn't take anything serious enough.

Anyway. Enough of that maudlin crap. So my Mom is getting remarried. I'm completely happy for her. She's positively giddy about the whole thing. She's marrying her high school sweetie, from whom she was torn dramatically from by her tyrannical mother like a scene out of Romeo and Juliet. Now, fifty years later, they're finally going to continue their story that started so long ago. He's great. I have no emotional issues regarding my future step-father. I wish them all the happiness they can possibly have.

I only wish this happened in the first place. Not that I don't love my dad or anything, but they just should not have married. They were ill matched for each other. I also wish that my Dad could move on and learn and accept things. Unfortunately, he has taken the whole divorce so poorly that we're afraid to tell him about Mom. The last time she mentioned to him that she was "moving on in every sense of the word" he told my sister afterwards that "your mother is confused."

Yeah. I don't know what's up with that. My Dad's powers of rationalization and justification are such that he could probably wear a cape and get his own comic book. That would be a pretty lame comic, though, come to think of it. I also just found out that my Dad's heart problems are getting bad enough that he'll need to have a stint put in. My father has had heart issues so long that from the time I was eight I knew where he kept his nitroglycerin tablets and understood I was to put one under his tongue if he ever fell down gripping his chest.

I feel at once sad and happy, regret and hope, frustration and elation, pity and admiration.

And on that note, here's a link to coolest thing I've seen today: Gnarles Barkley performing at the MTV movie awards. The costumes are awesome. You know you've always wanted to see Chewbacca rocking a drum set. Don't deny it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home