Hyperbolic and plebeian observations on life.

Name:
Location: NC

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" -Pride and Prejudice

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Tore up from the floor up

So we got one room painted, the kitchen, to be specific. And it's yellow. Way yellow. I like it, though, so it's cool. We only had enough time to get one room painted before we had to start on the floors. Yesterday we rented a big drum sander and got started.



The floors in the kitchen had been covered with several layers of linoleum. The adhesive covering them was black and possibly tar-based. So we let the beast eat last night and look what we got underneath...

Shazam! So the living room and hallway also had linoleum, but the adhesive under that was a blue felt-like paper. That stuff is not as tough as the black gunk, but is still going to be a pain.

Stay tuned!

3 Comments:

Blogger cornutt said...

LOVE the color. My kitchen is a light green and the rest of the house is a soft yellow. I don't think I could ever do white again.

You're moving in two weeks? I'm utterly impressed.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Norm said...

I have the same adhesive issue right by my front door. So it sanded off okay? I couldn't see clearly enough, was the grain all the same direction? We have the 10" squares with alternating grain direction so I think we have to sand one square at a time.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Connoisseur of Human Folly said...

All of ours runs the same way. I haven't the foggiest idea what to do with parquet floors like that. Our sanded off, but it wasn't easy. It was so old that it had fused pretty tight with the wood. Apparently the trick was to alternate between the really thick stuff and relatively bare spots. If you just keep plowing the thick stuff the sander got all gummed up with it.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home